Wednesday, 24 July 2013

This Week That Was

Dear Friend,

Being a writer means living in terror. I mean the incessant nagging of self-doubt. I have numerous fears about writing a blog. The fear of criticism, not finding enough time to write, finding out I’m not as talented as I like to think I am, etc.  However, beyond all the things that make me hesitate, there is a powerful desire to hold the finished work in my hands, to have my ideas perfectly articulated, and to receive praise from friends and family. I have read my first blog like thousand times. It feels too good to see your work. It feels good to hear someone say they actually thought they were reading about themselves when reading my first post.

Banned book in many schools and libraries ;-)

My mind is like a roller coaster and so are some other things. You know how I finished "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" ? People around me always suggest me to read the book first before watching the movie. I am pretty good about separating the two mediums from each other and can enjoy both without the comparisons getting in the way for the most part. I couldn't contain my curiosity on how this book had been made as a movie so put the book in half way and started watching the movie. It should be noted that the movie was written, directed and produced by Stephen Chbosky so I went in with high expectations and was not disappointed. While the movie didn't follow the book exactly, I definitely got the main messages and feelings from the book in the movie. The cast was great as well. After finished watching the movie I took the book right away and finished it in few hours. This is one of my all time favorite books. I laughed so hard during it. Charlie is peculiar and it was one of the first books I can ever remember laughing through.

Literature from North East India?!?!?! WOW !

Call it coincidence. The immediate book I chose to read is "Rebirth" Jahnavi Barua. It is the story of Kaberi, a young woman coming to grips with an uncertain marriage. It is also an intimate portrait of the passionate bond between a mother and her unborn child. Moving between Bangalore and Guwahati the novel weaves together Kaberi’s inner and outer worlds as she negotiates the perfidious waters of betrayal and loss—an unfaithful husband, a troubled relationship with her parents and the death of a childhood friend.
All I knew about Assam was violence, bomb blasts and so on until I read this book. Jahnavi Barua is an Indian author from Assam. She is the author of Next Door, a critically acclaimed collection of short stories set in Assam with insurgency as the background. She lives in Bangalore, and is a doctor. A very unique capturing style of writing. I am going to suggest this book to all I see in my life ;-) Highly recommended!!!!!

An Unforgettable Day

And then came this day. 19-07-2013. It was such a beautiful day. Took off from work. Accompanied a friend for a visit to Dermatologist. The checkup lasted for hours. Took the tickets to the newly released Mariyan from a friend who by mistaken booked tickets for him on that day. Caught up with the movie an hour later but thoroughly enjoyed watching it in a local theatre with the gang of guys who enjoys the movie to the fullest. Had good lunch in Buhari hotel. (Mutton Biriyani of course ;-) ) And it was pelting down the whole day, didn't carry an umbrella or had raincoat on me. I walked carelessly down the dark road and reached home very late :-D

Grinding away my "Bucket List"

  • Become a Vegetarian
  • Taste red wine
  • Take up ISTQB certification
  • Go to a movie alone
  • Run a marathon
  • Learn to swim
  • Learn to play tennis
  • Babysit someone's baby for an hour
  • Get a job in Google
  • Host a girls only night
  • Get your passport
  • Own my dream car
  • Get your two wheeler licence
  • Catch the movie on the first day of its release


Avowal: I will carry a book everywhere I go.

"We read to know that we are not alone.” 
― William Nicholson


Write to you soon.

Love,
Fatima J

2 comments:

  1. You got pun added into your free flow..keep going :-) and I am so inspired by your reading /learning enthusiasm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are inspired ? Ow ! That's so flattering :-D

      Delete